There is this one restaurant here on the Outer Banks that makes THE BEST strawberry cornmeal shortcake! It is so damn good! So this was my attempt at making this dessert at home for mother's day since my whole family really really loves strawberry shortcake.
Luckily for me, it was my niece's birthday yesterday which just so happened to be at a strawberry field. So this little piece of heaven was made with handpicked strawberries!
I found some random cornmeal cake recipe online and made whipped cream and a berry reduction sauce as well.
(For the cake)
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 2 eggs (separated into whites and yolks)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of baking powder
(For the whipped cream)
- 1 small container of whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
(For berry sauce)
- a solid handful of strawberries (repeat for all other berries)
- a squirt of lemon juice
- a little water
(Fresh berry topping)
- pick your favorite berries and pile on until you can't fit any more on the damn thing
- preheat oven to 400 F and oil one circular 9 in cake pan
- whip egg yolks and sugar until combined
- boil the milk and then in a separate bowl pour over cornmeal
- add this to the egg mixture
- sift in flour and baking powder
- in another bowl whisk egg whites until fluffy then fold into the cornmeal mixture
- pour into pan and bake for around 20 to 30 min or until knife comes out clean
While your cake is cooling you can start whipping that cream! Just add the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Then place in the fridge until ready to assemble.
For the sauce I literally have no measurements or anything its just some serious eyeballing. Throw the fruit in the pot, add the squirt of lemon juice and some water. Place on medium high heat and squish fruit with a fork. Once it starts bubbling, reduce the heat to simmer until it starts thicken up just a bit. Place in the fridge when done.
Once your cake has cooled remove it from the pan and begin assembling. I started with the whipped cream but I wish I had started with the cooled sauce so that it could have soaked into the cake. Originally I was worried that it would make it the cake too soggy but the cornmeal really soaks up a lot of the moisture. After the sauce is added, smother that shit with the whipped cream! Shove as much berries as humanly possible on top and enjoy!